POSITION TITLE: Part-time Field Staff
DEPARTMENT: Field Services
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Manager of Field Services
EMPLOYEE GROUP: TEMPO bargaining unit
HOURS/STATUS: Part-time / Non-exempt
AVAILABLE POSITIONS: Three (3)
The Education Minnesota Part-time Field Staff Program is designed to provide training and experience opportunities to members who desire to move into staff work as a career. Part-time staff shall continue in their current employment while in this program. The work assignment consists of about 300 hours of Education Minnesota employment per year.
The part-time field staff positions will be assigned to field offices and a specific field staff mentor near to their area of current residence.
Education Minnesota is a member-led labor union that has identified racial equity and social justice as primary organizational goals. All staff are expected to participate, individually and collectively, in ongoing training, discussions, and activities to advance these goals.
Acceptance into the part-time field staff program, does not guarantee future full-time employment.
MAJOR FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The part-time field staff assignments will include opportunities to work with a variety of locals, local leaders and state organization projects and programs. Assignments will be designed to help part-time Field staff develop backgrounds, skills, and experience in the following areas:
- Membership Promotion
- Collective Bargaining
- Member Rights
- Racial Equity and Social Justice
- Legislative and Political Action
- Education Issues
The duration of the part-time field staff assignment will be two (2) years. Continuation of the assignment for year two is subject to a satisfactory performance review conducted at six-month intervals.
- Part-time staff may terminate their employment with Education Minnesota upon thirty (30) days written notice.
- The Department Director or designee may terminate part-time staff upon thirty (30) days’ notice.
- No part-time field staff shall be assigned to work with the local where she/he is employed.
REQURIED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- High degree of motivation, integrity and leadership.
- Demonstrate an understanding of organizing, collective bargaining, member rights, member promotion, education issues, legislative and political action.
- Ability to write and speak effectively.
- Ability to analyze and use research data.
- Ability to work long hours and meet deadlines.
- Ability to apply anti-racist principles in a variety of ways.
- Work cooperatively with Education Minnesota leaders and staff.
- Commitment to and knowledge of Education Minnesota goals and issues.
- Availability for assignment after normal work hours, evenings and weekends.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Must have an active personal credit card.
- Current active member of Education Minnesota*
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination (vaccination card). If you have a medical exemption, you will be asked to provide a written waiver from your medical provider. If you have a religious objection, you will be asked to provide documentation stating your religious objection.
* Must resign from all elected or appointed local and state positions if employed in the Part-Time Field Staff Program and may not be a delegate to the Education Minnesota Representative Convention. Part-time field staff may be elected as a delegate to the NEA Representative Assembly and AFT Convention.
- Bachelor’s degree
Employee is required to: Continuously sit, talk and listen; frequently stand, walk and repetitively use hands dexterously (use fingers to handle, feel), reach with hands and arms, and bend.
DIRECTION & SUPERVISION
The Part-time Field Staff Program is the responsibility of the Director of Field Services and the overall supervision of the Part-time Field Staff Program employees is the responsibility of the Manager of Field Services assigned to the program.
Education Minnesota will compensate part-time field staff in accordance with the TEMPO/Education Minnesota contract.
- Some travel, evening and weekend work required.
EDUCATION MINNESOTA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Education Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where diversity is valued, supported and celebrated to benefit applicants, employees, members and students. All employment decisions are based on qualifications; merit and business need with preference given to people of color.
POSTING DEADLINE: Posting will remain open until filled, for best consideration, apply online and include a resume no later than 11:59 PM of Friday, June 24, 2022.