Minnesota educators receive National Board Certification
This December, 11 Education Minnesota members became the state’s newest National Board Certified Teachers.
National Board Certification is available in 25 areas structured around 16 different disciplines and six student developmental levels (early childhood, middle childhood, early and middle childhood, early adolescence, adolescence and young adulthood, early childhood through young adulthood).
Applicants work on four components to show their content knowledge, differentiation in instruction, teaching practice and learning environments and that they are an effective and reflective practitioner.
“It is really the best form of professional development you can do,” said Ben Lathrop, a teacher at Harding High School in St. Paul who was certified last year and is now a National Board Fellow working with the national program as well as the state network. “This gave me something to work toward and the tools to put things into practice that I knew I should be doing but hadn’t found the time. You’re working with your own students, in your own classroom, doing things you’ve always wanted to do.”
Minnesota’s National Board Certified Teacher Network works to connect certified teachers, as well as support candidates, including sessions for candidates to receive help on their components.
To learn more about National Board Certification or the Minnesota network, go to www.educationminnesota.org/resources/National-board-certification.
Congratulations to Minnesota’s newest National Board Certified Teachers:
- Amanda Aiken, Minnetonka - Social Studies-History/Adolescence And Young Adulthood
- Andrea Butler, Mounds View - Mathematics/Adolescence And Young Adulthood
- Heather Klug, Osseo - World Languages/Early Adolescence Through Young Adulthood
- Charlotte Murphy - Art/Early And Middle Childhood
- Lori Ringen, Rochester - Music/Early Adolescence Through Young Adulthood
- Anna Schoeneberger, Minnetonka - Science/Early Adolescence
- Brandy Siddiqui, Minneapolis - Social Studies-History/Adolescence And Young Adulthood
- Kelly Stroeing, Rochester - Generalist/Middle Childhood
- Laura Willis, Rochester - Generalist/Middle Childhood
- Amanda Zamilpa, Minnetonka - Generalist/Middle Childhood