POSITION TITLE: Temporary Political Organizer
DEPARTMENT: Public Affairs
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Director Public Affairs
LOCATION: St. Paul
HOURS/STATUS: Full Time/Temporary
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
EMPLOYEE GROUP: TEMPO
Education Minnesota seeks Political Organizers to further our statewide and local political efforts. Political organizers will focus on directly engaging Education Minnesota’s members in politics, recruit and develop local political activists, provide political context and education, training, and work as a team with local leaders, organizing specialists, and field staff. This position is designed to support member, local, regional and statewide political goals.
Education Minnesota is a member-led labor union that has identified racial equity and social justice as primary organizational goals. All staff are expected to participate, individually and collectively, in ongoing training, discussions, and activities to advance these goals.
MAJOR FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support Education Minnesota members, locals and staff in building power to achieve Education Minnesota’s statewide electoral, political action and advocacy goals;
- Develop and execute political organizing and advocacy strategies with Education Minnesota staff and members;
- Work directly with local unions to assist them in building long-term political power through local election strategies, grassroots political organizing, digital engagement, community organizing and other power-building strategies related to state or local political goals;
- Collaborate with Education Minnesota staff in developing strategies, goals and tactics that support local union political engagement;
- Work directly with specific member or stakeholder constituencies to increase their involvement in Education Minnesota’s political program;
- Support and expand efforts to further Education Minnesota’s racial equity and social justice agenda, build member of color power, and achieve racial justice wins at the state level;
- Identify, recruit, train and support member political action and advocacy leaders at the local union and worksite level;
- Recruit members for participation in statewide actions and political activities; and
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Proven commitment to, background in, and understanding of grassroots political organizing, political education, and/or advocacy on political issues;
- Experience in developing materials and training adults in small and large groups;
- Knowledge and understanding of political, electoral, and legislative processes;
- Ability to think both strategically and creatively to solve problems;
- Knowledge of digital and social media organizing tools and strategies;
- Ability to perform and work well under deadlines/pressure;
- Strong collaboration skills and the ability to work closely with Education Minnesota staff, local leaders, and rank-and-file members;
- Ability to recognize and respond to inequities, biases and demonstrate an individual commitment to understanding how equity and inequity operate in organizations and societies;
- Ability to represent Education Minnesota professionally in coalitions and with external partners;
- A high level of discretion and good judgement; and
- Applicants must be aware of the issues facing public education and labor unions.
- Applicants must either have a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience of HS Diploma and three (3) years in organizing, electoral or grassroots political campaigns, or education organizing;
- Valid driver’s license;
- Reliable transportation; and
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination (vaccination card). If you have a medical exemption, you will be asked to provide a written waiver from your medical provider. If you have a religious objection, you will be asked to provide documentation stating your religious objection.
- Three (3) years of experience in organizing, electoral or grassroots political campaigns, or education organizing.
- Experience working in a public school;
- Knowledge of and commitment to the cause of employee unions;
- Experience with member-driven organizations;
- Background in leading political or legislative advocacy or electoral campaigns or a racial or social justice campaign; and
- Experience in developing and executing written plans for accomplishing stated goals and objectives.
Maintain confidential information related to the organization, members and potential members, and staff.
Work is in a general office environment. Employee may be required to: talk and hear; frequently stand, walk and repetitively use hands dexterously (use fingers to handle, feel), reach with hands and arms, bend and physically, lift and carry up to 10 pounds; occasionally lift up to 50 pounds and infrequently travel by various conveyances (e.g., air, rail, auto).
- This is a temporary position not lasting beyond November 2022
- Some travel with overnights stays.
- Willingness to work nights and weekends as needed.
EDUCATION MINNESOTA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Education Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where diversity is valued, supported and celebrated to benefit applicants, employees, members and students. All employment decisions are based on qualifications; merit and business need with preference given to people of color.
POSTING DEADLINE: For consideration, apply online and include a resume. Posting will remain open until filled.