POSITION TITLE: Accounting specialist
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Controller
EMPLOYEE GROUP: United Staff of Minnesota
LOCATION: St. Paul
PROBATIONARY PERIOD: Nine (9) months
FLSA/GRADE LEVEL: Non-exempt
Under the direction of the Controller, the Accounting Specialist provides a full range of accounting services, primarily accounts payable and accounts receivable, that relate to the operation of the Finance Department for Education Minnesota. Education Minnesota is a member-led labor union that has identified racial equity and social justice as primary organizational goals. All staff are expected to participate individually and collectively in ongoing training, discussions, and activities to advance these goals.
Education Minnesota is a member-led labor union that has identified racial equity and social justice as primary organizational goals. All staff are expected to participate—individually and collectively—in ongoing training, discussions, and activities to advance these goals.
MAJOR FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Review and process all vouchers, invoices and check requests
- Maintain accounts receivable including deposit of cash receipts
- Prepare monthly journal entries, post journal entries and cash receipts
- Reconcile and analyze general ledger accounts and inter-entity accounts
- Compile and file internally and externally required reports
- Process of month-end close financial statements
- Assign proper account numbers, review for proper authorizations and accuracy of all invoices, expense reports, and check requests
- Code, cost out and prepare journal entries for internal print work orders
- Assign supplies, postage and printing charges to proper departments or affiliates
- Reconcile monthly postage and printing charges with work orders
- Maintain records of staff travel expenses
- Process and post of payroll
- Assist in the advancement of racial equity initiatives within the organization.
- Provide back-up support to other staff and/or reception relief as directed.
- Perform routine office duties and other job related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Ability to multi-task, organize, prioritize, and work independently in accomplishing objectives, goals, and meeting numerous deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to understand and effectively carry out complex oral and written directives.
- Problem-solving ability.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision in accomplishing objectives, goals and meeting numerous deadlines.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Highest ethical standards and commitment to confidentiality.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Skilled in the use of accounting and payroll software(s).
- Associate’s degree in Accounting.
- Advance level proficiency in MS Office Suite of products (Excel and Word).
- Intermediate level proficiency in MS Office Suite of products (Outlook).
- Three (3) or more years of experience in accounts payable, accounts receivable, general accounting or payroll.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or closely related field.
- Experience with Intacct accounting software.
- Experience with ADP Workforce Now payroll software.
Education Minnesota leaders, members, school district staff, vendors, staff from the AFT, AFL-CIO, NEA and the general public.
Willingness to work overtime and travel on a limited basis as needed (including nights and weekends).
Work is in a general office environment. Employee is required to: talk and hear; frequently stand, walk and repetitively use hands dexterously (use fingers to handle, feel), reach with hands and arms, bend and physically, lift and carry up to 25 pounds; occasionally lift up to 50 pounds and infrequently travel by various conveyances (e.g., air, rail, auto).
Maintain confidential information as applicable.
EDUCATION MINNESOTA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Education Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where diversity is valued, supported and celebrated to benefit applicants, employees, members and students. All employment decisions are based on qualifications, merit and business need with preference given to people of color.
POSTING DEADLINE: For consideration, apply online and include a resume no later than midnight of Friday, Dec. 10.