All-member survey results
If you feel worried, anxious and conflicted about how schools should look when classes resume this fall, you are not alone. Thousands of educators across the state of Minnesota feel the same way. We have the survey data to prove it.
Education Minnesota asked educators to share their thoughts about the best way to resume public education during the COVID-19 crisis, and more than 20,500 of you responded from July 16-20.
The most frequently chosen option was to continue distance learning with 49 percent of respondents, while 29 percent of educators preferred a hybrid of distance and in-person learning. Seventeen percent of educators supported full-time, in-person classes this fall.
Nearly every educator who took the survey agreed that any return to our worksites must include big changes to how we teach, interact with our students, keep our buildings clean and even arrange our workspaces. Even with those changes, 58 percent of educators in the survey said they weren’t comfortable physically returning.
The survey makes clear the racial inequalities that run through public education are present in this decision, too. Educators of color are even more reluctant to return to in-person learning than educators as a whole, likely because of the extra risk the virus poses to Black, brown and Indigenous communities.
Because it’s important for us to know how our colleagues see these issues, Education Minnesota has made the survey data available to members below.
A big thank you to everyone who took the time to share your thoughts and concerns.
President, Education Minnesota
1. How should education take place in the fall?
2. How important are the following when it comes to reopening school data?
3. How comfortable are you in returning to school if all reopening safety standards are met?
4. If you are very comfortable or somewhat comfortable about returning to school, why do you feel that way? Check all that apply. (Skip if you answered somewhat uncomfortable or very uncomfortable)
5. If you are somewhat uncomfortable or very uncomfortable about returning to a school, what are your concerns? Check all that apply. (Skip if you answered very comfortable or somewhat comfortable)
6. How has your school district engaged staff about reopening schools?
7. What is the likelihood the following barriers may prevent your in-person return to work?