2018 lobby days
Minnesota residents owe $26.85 billion in education debt -- the fifth highest level in the nation -- and the only way we're going to make progress on this critical issue is to build momentum and bring attention to it.
This year, we're offering two opportunities to do just that:
Degrees, Not Debt lobby days
9 a.m.-3 p.m.
Wednesday, March 21
Thursday April 12
Please join us at the state Capitol to speak with state policymakers about supporting the legislative priorities determined by members like you:
- Affordable college for Minnesota residents.
- Creation of a student loan ombudsperson within state government to act as an advocate for consumers against abuses by loan servicers and lenders.
- Improved and more consistent loan counseling for students at all levels of education, including assistance with available loan forgiveness programs.
- Expansion of Minnesota’s existing teacher loan forgiveness programs to provide adequate funding and increase eligibility to include additional areas in which educators work and where there is a shortage, including school counselors, licensed school nurses, occupational therapists, speech therapists, physical therapists, school psychologists and other instructional support personnel.
- Replication of the public service loan forgiveness program at the state level to provide relief to all public employees.
We will meet at Education Minnesota headquarters in the morning, prepare you to speak with legislators and then head over to the Capitol as a group.
We know how critical this topic is, so Education Minnesota will cover mileage, provide a light breakfast and lunch and pay for a substitute for the day to enable you to attend.
Register here to sign up for one or both days