Willmar part-time field staff
Position title: Part-time field staff
Department: Field services
Supervisor: Manager of field services
Location: Willmar office
Employee group: TEMPO staff union
Available position(s): One
The Education Minnesota Part-time Field Staff Program is designed to provide training and experience opportunities to members who desire to move into staff work as a career. Part-time staff shall continue in their current employment while in this program. The work assignment consists of about 300 hours of Education Minnesota employment per year.
The part-time field staff positions will be assigned to field offices and a specific field staff mentor closest to their area of current residence.
Acceptance into the part-time field staff program, does not guarantee future full-time employment.
Major functions and responsibilities:
The part-time field staff assignments will include opportunities to work with a variety of locals, local leaders and state organization projects and programs. Assignments will include such areas as:
- Member promotion
- Collective bargaining
- Member rights
- Education issues
- Legislative and political action
- Advancement of racial equity initiatives
- Professionalism: Staff Skills for Workplace Success
The duration of the part-time field staff assignment will be two years. Continuation of the assignment for year two is subject to a satisfactory performance review conducted at six-month intervals.
- Part-time staff may terminate their employment with Education Minnesota upon 30 days written notice.
- The department director or designee may terminate part-time staff upon 30 days’ notice.
- No part-time field staff shall be assigned to work with the local where she/he is employed.
Required knowledge skills and abilities:
- High degree of motivation, integrity and leadership.
- Demonstrate an understanding of organizing, collective bargaining, member rights, member promotion, education issues, legislative and political action and professionalism.
- Ability to write and speak effectively.
- Ability to analyze and use research data.
- Ability to work long hours and meet deadlines.
- Work cooperatively with Education Minnesota leaders and staff.
- Commitment to and knowledge of Education Minnesota goals and issues.
- Availability for assignment after normal work hours, evenings and weekends.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Must have an active personal credit card.
- Current active member of Education Minnesota*
* Must resign from all elected or appointed local and state positions if employed in the Part-Time Field Staff Program and may not be a delegate to the Education Minnesota Representative Convention. Part-time field staff may be elected as a delegate to the NEA Representative Assembly and AFT Convention.
Employee is required to: Continuously sit, talk and hear; frequently stand, walk and repetitively use hands dexterously (use fingers to handle, feel), reach with hands and arms, bend and physically lift and carry up to 50 pounds; occasionally lift up to 75 pounds and frequently travel by various conveyances (e.g., air, rail, auto).
Direction and supervision
The Part-time Field Staff Program is the responsibility of the director of field services and the overall supervision of the Part-time Field Staff Program employees is the responsibility of the manager of field services assigned to the program.
Education Minnesota will compensate part-time field staff in accordance with the TEMPO/Education Minnesota contract.
- Some travel, evening and weekend work may be required.
EDUCATION MINNESOTA IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where diversity is valued, supported and celebrated to benefit applicants, employees, members and students. All employment decisions are based on qualifications; merit and business need with preference given to people of color.
Deadline: This position is open until filled. Please apply online.
41 Sherburne Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55103