Temporary MSCF - Organizer
POSITION TITLE:MSCF - Organizer (Job # 2020-39)
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR:Director of Field Services
LOCATION:St. Paul – Minnesota State College Faculty (MSCF)
PROBATIONARY PERIOD:Temporary Position (up to 9 months)
FLSA/GRADE LEVEL:Exempt - Full Time
View this description and apply online
Under the direction of the Field Services Director, the MSCF Field Organizer will assist Minnesota State College Faculty (MSCF) leaders and members in developing and implementing a collective bargaining organizing program. Initial supervision will be under the director of field services, with day-to-day collaboration in program implementation with Education Minnesota Field Staff and MSCF officers. The MSCF field organizer will primarily interact with MSCF members, leaders, and staff to develop and implement organizing plans focused on MSCF’s collective bargaining priorities, though the position may also support additional organizing actions occurring within MSCF, through June 2021.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with MSCF officers and members to develop an organizing plan centered on supporting MSCF collective bargaining priorities.
- Collaborate with Field Staff and MSCF leaders to recruit members to participate in organizing activities, develop member leaders, and build chapter organizing capacity.
- Conduct relational organizing conversations with Education Minnesota members.
- Identify and recruit MSCF members to participate in organizing plan activities.
- Train organizing team leaders in political context, leadership skills and worksite organizing methods. These trainings will be both collective and individual, as needed.
- Work directly with chapter leaders and other members, as needed, to teach, clarify and re-teach key organizing principles and methods.
- Lead and actively participate in events and actions that promote MSCF collective bargaining priorities.
- Utilize data systems to track organizing work.
- Coordinate organizing activities and communicate directly with all relevant internal and external stakeholders, as directed.
- Communicate regularly with MSCF leaders and staff to ensure understanding of long-term objectives, next steps, expectations, and timelines.
- Assess support and potential barriers on an ongoing basis as related to organizing efforts.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Knowledge and understanding of unions.
- Knowledge and understanding of the collective bargaining process.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct one-on-one organizing conversations and assess individual opinions, union affinity, motivations and leadership potential.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully recruit, train and support grassroots activist volunteers.
- Demonstrated awareness of social, racial and economic justice concerns.
- Good public relations, communications, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong planning and organizational skills and ability to prioritize work assignments to achieve ambitious, measurable organizing goals on strict timelines.
- Understand and effectively carry out complex verbal and written directions.
- Problem solve and work independently.
- Experience working with confidential and sensitive information and issues.
- Ability to work with technology, social media and data tracking systems.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Valid Driver’s license
- One year of demonstrated grassroots organizing leadership success on a union, political or advocacy campaign.
- One year of engagement in a professional setting related to public education, early education, higher education, teaching, education unionism or a related field.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Three or more years of demonstrated grassroots organizing success on a union, political or advocacy campaign.
- Professional experience working as an educator or faculty member in a public school or college.
Maintain confidential information related to the organization and all personnel employees and staff.
MACHINES AND/OR TOOLS OPERATED:
- Personal computer
- Word processing, spreadsheet and database software
- Internet and browser software
Work is in a general office environment. Employee is required to: talk and hear; frequently stand, walk and repetitively use hands dexterously (use fingers to handle, feel), reach with hands and arms, bend and physically, lift and carry up to 40 pounds; occasionally lift up to 75 pounds and infrequently travel by various conveyances (e.g., air, rail, auto).
- Some travel with overnights stays
- Frequent evening and weekend work required.
EDUCATION MINNESOTA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Education Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where diversity is valued, supported and celebrated to benefit applicants, employees, members and students. All employment decisions are based on qualifications; merit and business need with preference given to people of color.
POSTING DEADLINE: For consideration, apply online and include a resume no later than midnight of Monday, December 7, 2020.
Please click this link to apply: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=faa82ad6-58ce-4071-80c8-3e481e725e0a&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=396692&source=CC2&lang=en_US