Office Assistant: Public Affairs
POSITION TITLE: Office Assistant (View the full description)
DEPARTMENT: Public Affairs
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Executive Assistant Public Affairs
LOCATION: St. Paul Office
HOURS/STATUS: Full Time/Non-Exempt
EMPLOYEE GROUP: USM staff union
PROBATIONARY PERIOD: 9 Months
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Under the direction of the Public Affairs Executive Assistant, the Public Affairs Office Assistant provides a full range of administrative and office support services to the Education Minnesota Public Affairs department including statewide events. This position provides direct support to professional staff within the department as well as support for Education Minnesota’s political and legislative activities, the dissemination of information and publications to members and their significance to support the mission of Education Minnesota.
MAJOR FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide a full range of administrative support for Education Minnesota’s Public Affairs Programs.
- Produce flyers, newsletters and other publications as directed, including web based production and editing and basic video editing.
- Review, prepare, maintain records, code billings and obtain appropriate signatures for: expenses, workshops, and various committee and projects.
- Provide back-up support to other Public Affairs Office Professional staff as directed.
- Schedule appointments, maintain calendars, note important dates, route correspondence and maintain follow-ups.
- Coordinate and schedule meetings, workshops and events with members and staff; including but not limited to arranging for hotel contracts, registrations, sending meeting notices, room arrangements, catering, preparation of materials, transcribing meeting notes, and all follow-up.
- Answer phones and initiate appropriate follow-up.
- Assist with overall organization and day-to-day functions of the department.
- Maintain and handle facsimile and copying needs of the department.
- Update information in various record-keeping systems.
- Participate in projects, duties, and other administrative tasks assigned by management.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Record keeping and bookkeeping skills.
- Accurate typing, transcribing and computer skills.
- Desktop publishing.
- Good public relations, communications, telephone and personal skills.
- Excellent spelling and grammar skills.
- Understand and effectively carry out complex verbal and written directions.
- Work well under pressure, able to handle multiple tasks and meet strict deadlines.
- Problem-solve and work independently.
- Good planning and organization skills; ability to prioritize work assignments and be punctual.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Three (3) years administrative support experience.
- Intermediate level proficiency in MS Office Suite of products (Outlook, Excel, Word, Access, Publisher, PowerPoint).
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public affairs or government relations.
- Experience with a political environment including campaigns and elections
- Experience in database software particularly the Voter Activation Network system (VAN)
- Proficiency in Adobe InDesign or other desktop layout software.
- Experience in web editing software highly desired.
- Proficiency in using online database management software such as CVENT and VAN (data entry, reports).
Work is in a general office environment. Employee is required to: talk and hear; frequently stand, walk and repetitively use hands dexterously (use fingers to handle, feel), reach with hands and arms, bend and physically lift and carry up to 40 pounds; occasionally lift up to 75 pounds and infrequently travel by various conveyances (e.g., air, rail, auto).
• Some after-hours work (evenings and weekends) and occasional travel with overnight stays may be required.
• Maintain confidential information as applicable.
EDUCATION MINNESOTA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Education Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where diversity is valued, supported and celebrated to benefit applicants, employees, members and students. All employment decisions are based on qualifications, merit and business need.
POSTING DEADLINE: For best consideration, apply online and include a resume. Posting is open until midnight of Monday, February 24, 2020
Apply using this link: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=faa82ad6-58ce-4071-80c8-3e481e725e0a&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=312424&source=CC3&lang=en_US