Field Staff: MSCF
POSITION TITLE: Field staff
DEPARTMENT: Field services - MSCF
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Manager of field services
EMPLOYEE GROUP: Professional staff/TEMPO bargaining unit
LOCATION: St. Paul
HOURS/STATUS: Full-time (temporary)/exempt
View the job description PDF
An Education Minnesota field staff supports union leaders and members to build and maintain strong locals and a strong union. Field staff work with locals to develop and implement programs and activities related to membership growth, collective bargaining, member rights, organizing, professional issues, political action and community partnerships. In addition, field staff engage members through leadership identification, member training, and skills development. Field staff actively promote membership in and engagement with Education Minnesota, the National Education Association and the American Federation of Teachers.
The position in this posting will be assigned to the Minnesota State College Faculty, the local representing faculty at the public two-year colleges in Minnesota.
MAJOR FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Provide advice, local and member training, and appropriate professional assistance to members and locals, including the following and other such duties as assigned:
- Support locals in the development and implementation of various types of organizing plans: issue organizing, membership organizing, community organizing, internal engagement organizing, etc.
- Assist in developing and implementing worksite organizing infrastructure, including methods of charting/mapping, organizing-related communications structures, and information keeping.
- Assist locals with identifying issues around which to organize, setting goals and determining strategies and timelines.
- Train leaders and members in the tactics of organizing and mobilizing.
- Engage members and leaders in 1:1 conversations to assess members, identify issues and identify potential leaders.
- Strive to guarantee members’ rights through a variety of means.
- Train local leaders in principles of member rights advocacy, including the recognition and processing of grievances as well as through organizing and mobilizing.
- Prepare for and represent members and locals in investigations, grievance proceedings, hearings, arbitration sessions and other settings.
- Provide guidance in developing internal communications plans that encourage consistent, multi-faceted connections among members and leaders.
- Support the development and implementation of external communications plans.
Legislative and Political Action
- Encourage and support local lobbying and political action programs.
- Coordinate communication between members and legislators.
- Develop members’ skills to work effectively in political campaigns.
- Participate in Education Minnesota campaign activities.
- Provide relevant, timely information to leaders and members on issues related to education and professional development.
- Train members using adult-learning best practices.
Professionalism: Staff Skills for Workplace Success
- Communicate regularly and work collaboratively with colleagues and supervisors.
- Participate in collaborative staff teams on a variety of topics.
Education Minnesota leaders and members, Education Minnesota staff, government leaders and agencies, general public, community and civic leaders.
MACHINES AND/OR TOOLS OPERATED
Personal computer, internet and browser software, smartphone, Windows-based word processing software.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Experience including, but not limited to; education issues, collective bargaining, political and legislative action, grievance processing, local and member training, member consultation skills and experience in working with elected leaders at all levels is desirable.
- Understanding of organizing principles, labor relations and experience in a union environment.
- Ability to collaborate with others in a team environment.
- Excellent communication skills, including writing, speaking and making presentations.
- Experience in working with confidential and sensitive information.
- Skill in strategic thinking and problem-solving, including the ability to identify and appropriately evaluate alternatives.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Reliable transportation.
- Active personal credit card.
- Willing to maintain residency within the assignment area.
- Previous work in a higher education setting.
- Previous union work experience.
This is a temporary position for a duration of up to 12 months. Willingness to work nights and weekends as needed. Travel required.
EDUCATION MINNESOTA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Education Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where diversity is valued, supported and celebrated to benefit applicants, employees, members and students. All employment decisions are based on qualifications, merit and business need.
For best consideration, please apply online and include a resume by 11:59 p.m. Friday, Jan. 24.
Please apply online at: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=faa82ad6-58ce-4071-80c8-3e481e725e0a&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=310877&source=CC3&lang=en_US